Carrot & Parsnip Soup with Orange and Ginger
A saucepan of soup is heartening on those cold winter days.
Carot and parsnip soup
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|3||Onions, (roughly chopped)|
|500 g||Carrots, (2-3)|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 knob||Ginger, (peeled and finely diced)|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock, or vegetable stock|
|1||Orange, grated zest and juice|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pan, then add the onion. Fry gently until it is soft and golden.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, cumin and ginger and stir well. Place a piece of baking paper on top of the vegetables and cover with the lid.
- Cook the vegetables slowly over a low heat until softened.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are really tender.
- Drain the contents of the saucepan, catching all the liquid in a bowl.
- To purée the vegetables, return a little of the liquid and place them in a food processor, or use a stick blender or pass them through a mouli.
- Do not over-process them, as this will make the soup frothy.
- Tip the puréed vegetables back into the pan and gently stir in the remaining reserved liquid with the orange zest and juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat when ready to serve.
- Add sprigs of mint or sliced mint leaves as a garnish.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL