Potatoes baked in salt crust
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1½ kg||Waxy potatoes, all the same size (medium)|
|1||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 to taste||Fresh rosemary|
|1 kg||Sea salt|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Scrub potatoes and quickly brown in olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Place in a fairly deep oven proof dish - about 28cm x 22cm.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rock salt, flour and water. Pour this over the potatoes, press in and bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven and invert on to a bread board. It will all stay together in a hard piece and doesn't make any mess at all.
- When they cook potatoes like this on the Ile de Ré, they sometimes also add whole unpeeled shallots and serve the lot with cream.