Coffee, prune and chocolate cake
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 cup||Pitted prunes, roughly chopped|
|1||Espresso coffee, short black, or 2 tsp instant espresso dissolved in 2 Tbsp boiling water|
|300 g||Caster sugar|
|200 g||Plain flour|
|1 cup||Ground almonds|
|100 g||Dark chocolate|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Line a springform cake tin.
- Combine the prunes and coffee in a saucepan and simmer over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until soft and juicy. Cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold through the flour, almonds and then the prunes.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Break up the chocolate and put in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Leave for 5 minutes, then gently stir in the cream, adding a little more if necessary to produce a spreadable consistency.
- Using a spatula, spread the chocolate over the top of the cake before serving with softly whipped cream.