Chinese steamed buns
( SERVES 10 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|½ tsp||Grape seed oil|
|100 g||Chicken thighs, finely sliced|
|2 tsp||Ginger, finely chopped|
|3||Shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted in boiling water, or use fresh, finely sliced|
|½ tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 tsp||Soy sauce|
|1 tsp||Caster sugar|
|2 tsp||Oyster sauce|
|1 tbsp||Spring onion, finely sliced|
|30 g||Active dried yeast, /1 sachet|
|1 cup||Water, warmed|
|2 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|4 cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 to grease||Sesame oil|
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and leave for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of sugar and cup flour, then leave in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to froth.
- Add the water, the remaining sugar and then stir to dissolve.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour sifted with the baking powder, until smooth, then add the remaining flour and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is elastic.
- Grease the clean bowl with a little sesame oil, put in the dough and turn it over so the dough is completely oiled. Cover and leave in a warm place for 2 hours.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a pan, add the chicken, ginger and sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the oil, soy, sugar, oyster sauce and spring onion and mix.
- Divide the dough into 10 even sized pieces. Put a small spoonful of mixture in the centre and form each into a smooth ball.
- Place on individual squares of baking paper before putting in a bamboo steamer, allowing room to rise and spread. Leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Place over boiling water and steam for 10 minutes then remove the steamer but leave covered for a further 5 minutes to cool before eating.