Apple tarte tatin
( SERVES 6 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|120 g||Butter, softened|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|6||Apples, (cooking apples)|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|400 g||Sweet short pastry, rolled to fit the pan|
|1 to serve||Cream|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Spread the butter over the base of a heavy ovenproof pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the butter and then the brandy.
- Peel, core and cut each apple into eighths, then place as close together as possible in the pan.
- Put over a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the butter and sugar begin to caramelise. Put the pan in the oven for 10 minutes then remove, cover the apples with the pastry and return the pan to the oven, baking until a deep golden colour.
- Allow the tart to rest for five minutes then run a knife around the edge. Place a serving dish over the pan and invert.
- Serve with softly whipped cream.