Bun cha (barbecued pork meatballs with rice noodles)
( SERVES 4 )
Bun Cha originates from Hanoi, a city in north Vietnam, and consists of barbecue grilled pork mince, rice noodles, lots of fresh lettuce and herbs and a dipping sauce.
Barbecue pork meatballs
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|600 g||Pork mince|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|2||Garlic cloves, minced|
Nuoc cham sauce
|¼ cup||Lemon, juice, or use lime juice|
|2 tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce, use 3 tbsp if needed|
|1½ tbsp||Fish sauce, or use 2 tbsp if needed|
|1||Garlic cloves, very finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Red chilli, finely chopped, use 2 tsp if needed|
|300 g||Vermicelli, cooked, or from 100g uncooked|
|1 head||Butter lettuce, or use coral lettuce|
|2 handfuls||Mung bean sprouts|
|4 handfuls||Fresh mixed herbs, Asian herbs such as Vietnamese mint, aniseed basil, mint and coriander|
- Mix all meatball ingredients together well. Roll into small balls approx 2-3cm in diameter and flatten slightly.
- Cook meatballs on a preheated barbecue grill or in a large grill pan on the stovetop. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- To serve, divide cold noodles, meatballs, lettuce leaves, mung bean sprouts and herbs between plates and serve with a small bowl of sauce on the side.
- Pour sauce over noodles just before eating.