I could eat bowls and bowls of this refreshing dish that reminds me of being at the beach and on holiday. It relies on having very fresh fish available, so ideally you are a fisher, or know one! The acid from the lime/lemon juice "cooks'’ the fish flesh without heat, firming up its texture and turning it an opaque white colour. I think trevally is the best type of fish for this dish.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Cut fish into small 1-2cm pieces. Combine with lime or lemon juice in a non-metal, non-corrosive bowl.
- Cover and set aside to marinate for 30-45 minutes in the fridge - the acid of the citrus will "cook'' the fish.
- Mix in coconut cream, onion, chilli (if using), spring onions, capsicum and tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve chilled in small bowls or in lettuce leaf cups.