Chicken and ham pie
( SERVES 4 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|180 g||Button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced|
|1¼ cups||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Creme fraiche|
|2 cups||Chicken, chopped cooked meat|
|½ cup||Ham, off the bone, chopped|
|2||Spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped|
|2 tbsp||Parsley, chopped|
|2 tbsp||Chives, chopped|
|2 sheets||Butter puff pastry, slightly thawed|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
- Heat the oven to 180 degC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt 25gof the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and any juices have evaporated.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining butter and melt, then stir in the flour and cook until a pale golden colour.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for a further 2-3minutes, stirring or whisking continuously until the sauce is thick.
- Add the crème fraiche and cook for a further 1minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cold stir through the mushrooms, chicken, ham, spring onion and herbs.
- Lightly flour the bench top and place pastry sheets one on top of the other. Roll out the pastry to a rectangle, about 30cm x 33cm.
- Using a large sharp knife, cut the pastry in half. Place 1 half on the lined baking tray and pile on the chicken mixture, leaving a 2cm border. Brush border with the egg wash.
- Fold the remaining pastry in half lengthwise and again use a large sharp knife to make cuts in the folded side, 1cm apart and leaving a 2cm border on the unfolded side and ends.
- Carefully open the pastry out and place over the filling, pressing the edges well to seal. Trim if necessary.
- Brush pastry top with the egg wash. (Chill pie in the refrigerator for 20minutes if time allows).
- Place pie in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until well browned and the filling is bubbling hot.
- Serve with steamed green vegetables or a green salad.