Spanish chicken and quinoa
Here’s a quick and easy paella-style dish using quinoa that I’ve been making lots of over the holidays.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|750 g||Boneless chicken thighs, up to 1kg, skinless|
|3 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Chorizo sausage, or 2, chopped|
|1||Large onion, chopped|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic, or 2|
|½ tsp||Saffron threads|
|1||Lemon, Zest and juice|
|1½ cups||Quinoa, rinsed and drained|
|3 cups||Chicken stock, hot|
|1 cup||Green olives pitted|
|½ cup||Flat leaf parsley, chopped|
- Rub the chicken with the paprika until well coated.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, deep frying pan and brown the chicken all over on a medium-high heat until almost half-cooked and a deep golden colour.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm by covering with foil.
- Fry the chorizo until just crispy, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic.
- Soak the saffron in a little of the stock while the onion is cooking.
- Add the saffron mix to the pan with the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the quinoa and stock, stirring everything together well, then return the chicken pieces to the pan and nestle in with the quinoa.
- Scatter the olives and the chorizo over the top.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for another 5-8 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Take off the heat and leave to stand for 5-10minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and lemon juice and serve.
Tip: Omit the chorizo if you don’t have it. Add some prawns in at stage 8 and some mussels or other shellfish.