Italian style homemade baked beans
( SERVES 4 )
Easy and super-tasty, make these tomato and basil beans with bacon and an egg – a brunch favourite. You can add some crusty bread for a complete meal –“ the works” Italian style!
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red onion, finely sliced|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|2||Smokey bacon, rashers or chorizo, diced|
|1 can||Diced tomatoes|
|1 can||Cannellini beans, drained|
|2 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|2 tbsp||Tomato paste, or sauce|
|1 to serve||Basil leaf|
|1 to serve||Olive oil|
|1 to serve||Cracked black pepper|
- Fresh basil leaves/olive oil and cracked pepper to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is soft and the bacon coloured.
- Add the tomatoes, water, cannellini beans, Worcestershire, brown sugar, paprika and paste and simmer for 5-8 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Divide between individual dishes (or spoon into a large dish) and make a well in the centre of each dish (or in each quarter of a large dish).
- Crack an egg into each well, cover with foil and bake for 5-8 minutes until the egg is set.
- Serve with a swirl of olive oil, fresh basil and cracked pepper.