Cheeseboard with Spiced Nuts and Marinated Brandy Fruits
( SERVES 8 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1||Egg, white only|
|2 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|4 cups||Mixed nuts, whole, brazils, cashews, almonds, walnuts, etc|
Marinated Brady Fruits
|¼ cup||Brandy, or sherry|
|1 tbsp||Brown sugar|
|2||Star anise, or 3|
|2||Cinnamon sticks, or 3|
|1½ cups||Dried fruit, apricots, prunes, cranberries, papaya, pears, figs, etc|
- Spiced Nuts: Preheat the oven to 170 degC.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white until foamy and white, then add salt, caster sugar and spice.
- Whisk again until combined, then add all the nuts and toss.
- Spread out the nuts over two lined trays in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing once or twice until toasted and caramelised.
- Leave to cool and harden in the trays, then store in airtight jars.
- Marinated Brady Fruits: In a medium saucepan, combine brandy, water, brown sugar, spices and orange peel and bring to a simmer.
- Add the dried fruits and simmer a further 5-10 minutes until fruits are soft.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a jar.
- Cover, chill and let marinate. You can use them straight away, or keep in the fridge for up to a month.