Festive Fare: Christmas Pudding Parfait
( SERVES 8 )
Simplicity, tradition and taste all trapped in a gorgeous wafer. Crumble a 10cm Christmas pudding and soak it in brandy and rum to incorporate into the parfait.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|30 ml||Dark rum|
|1||Oil spray, canola|
|9||Free-range eggs, yolks|
|250 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|32||Wafer biscuits, (ice-cream wafers)|
|1||Christmas pudding, a 10cm pudding, crumbled|
- Crumble Christmas pudding into a large bowl and pour over brandy and rum.
- Spray 3 terrine moulds with canola spray, then line with baking paper.
- Whisk egg yolks until pale and thick with an electric mixer.
- Place caster sugar in a small pot with half a cup of water and bring to the boil.
- Continue to boil until syrup reaches 116 degC on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove from heat and slowly drizzle down the side of the mixing bowl on to the egg, while the mixer is running.
- Continue to whisk until mixture has cooled.
- Fold in orange zest, honey, Drambuie and vanilla.
- Whisk cream until a soft peak forms and fold gently into the egg mixture with a whisk until just combined.
- Pour parfait mixture evenly into terrine moulds and press Christmas pudding mix into each mould.
- Place ina freezer overnight to set. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 2 weeks at this point.
- When ready to use, remove parfait from moulds by dipping the mould into hot water for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Tip parfait upside down on a cutting board and remove mould and baking paper.
- Slice parfait into thick slices with a hot, sharp knife and sandwich each piece between 2 wafers. Serve immediately.
- Ice-Cream Wafers: Heat oven to 180 degC.
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and, using a steel spatula, thinly and evenly spread mix over the baking paper.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cut into 7cmx7cm squares while wafers are still hot.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 1 week.