Festive Fare: Spiced shortbread
( SERVES 15 )
These days spice is more my thing than sugar, so it’s spiced shortbread that is hung from the tree.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|100 g||Caster sugar, plus extra for rolling|
|200 g||Unsalted butter|
|300 g||Plain flour|
|¼ tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|¼ tsp||Ground cloves|
|½ tsp||Mixed spice|
- Heat oven to 170 degC.
- Beat sugar and butter for 5 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Sift flour and spices on to a clean, dry bench top, then gently fold in creamed sugar and butter until a soft dough starts to form, being careful not to overwork.
- Sprinkle the bench with a little extra caster sugar and gently roll dough with a rolling pin until about 1cm thick.
- Sprinkle with more caster sugar if required to prevent it from sticking.
- Use Christmas-themed cookie cutters to cut shortbread shapes and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and wrap individually with cellophane.
- Tie with ribbon and hang from the tree.