Lemon honey and ricotta cupcakes
( SERVES 12 )
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|½ cup||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
|½ cup||Ricotta cheese|
Icing & Caramelised Lemon Slices
|1||Vanilla bean, split with seeds scraped out|
|1 tsp||Butter, softened|
|1½ cups||Icing sugar, sifted|
|1 tbsp||Water, boiling|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|12 slices||Lemons, thin|
- To caramelise the lemon slices, heat the water (1 cup) and sugar (1 cup) in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then add the lemons. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, then remove the lemons to a plate, twisting into shape.
- To make the lemon honey, melt the butter in the top of a double boiler. Add the sugar and juice, stirring until dissolved. Add the zest and eggs while continuing to stir. Cook until the mixture thickens, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Line tins with paper cases or oil spray silicone cases. Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar until pale, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Fold in the flour and almonds, alternating with the milk.
- Spoon a little of the mixture into each case, then top with some ricotta and lemon honey. Top with more cupcake mix so the cases are full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Make vanilla icing as above, and top each cake with some icing topped with lemon honey and a slice of caramelised lemon.