How to: Make Mayonnaise
Homemade mayonnaise doesn't have to be daunting, and with just a few simple ingredients you can whip up a classic mayonnaise sauce that tastes great with a huge range of dishes. Add your own touch with extra flavours to suit.
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 150ml canola oil
1. Place the yolk in a clean bowl.
2. Using a whisk add the salt and lemon juice or vinegar.
3. Then with your oil in a jug start pouring it in drop by drop, whisking constantly.
4. Once the emulsion has been started you can start to add the oil in a steady thin stream, whisking constantly as you go.
5. When the sauce is thick, taste and adjust the seasoning and flavourings. To thin, whisk in a little warm water or more vinegar.
6. This will make approximately 1 cup of mayonnaise.
For sauce tartare
To make sauce tartare, to approximately half a cup of mayonnaise, add:
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 1 tsp gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp chives or finely sliced shallots
Serve mayonnaise with Celia Hay's Fried Garlic Prawns.